Sunday, June 13, 2010

Writing Exercises

Does anyone do writing exercises to keep the mind focused on writing so you don't get writers block?

Or have you had writers block and tried them? Did they work?

I look at the ones in my Writers Digest magazine and think yeah OK, and just flip the page. Both when I was having the "block" and not. I know they help a lot of writers, but it doesn't work that way for me. I have to be in the right emotional state of mind, the right "time" shall we say. I just can't sit down after working all day and expect something to come to me, the day job needs to disappear and the mind needs to be in a 'relaxed' state, and of course I need the plot ticking away within my skull.

As long as the ideas of a story come to me, I'm usually all set. I mentioned in a previous blog, that one hit while I was driving and that was in no way a good thing. LOL.
But I have noticed that if I am in a writers block, and the "exercises" bore me, I just have to sit back, relax and let the mind go blank. Eventually something within eye sight or hearing range will spark the writing idea, whether it's 10 minutes, 10 days or ten weeks. Which by then can become frustrating, yet if i try to "push" it, *eyes rolling up* yeah, that doesn't work to well.

I am however thinking about going to visit my local RWA Chapter. Being a solitary writer can be lonely sometimes and it's good to mix it up with others who share your passion for your craft, that can advise, critique and smile at you.

So on that note...I hope everyone has a great day and a better week ahead!!

C~

No comments: