Sunday, July 15, 2012

Description of an Author

While updating my resume and applying for a new day job opportunity, I was asked to describe myself as a self - employed published author.

Of course I know what I do and I'd even described it several years back, but I wanted it fresh and up to professional standards.

I found a few good web sites that offered their description of a writer and then I worked the information into what I do as an erotic romance author. 

The first thing is while a lot of us use the terms 'writer' & 'author' as though they are one and the same, they are actually two different beings all together.

Writer is someone who writes a book or article.

Author is essentially the person who originated the idea, plot or content of the ms being written.

In my case I am both :-)

Writing is my passion, yet if I want my works published it is a business. 

So now I'm not only an author, but an accountant, marketer and deal maker.

So what is the description of an author :

              •    self-discipline and time management to organize
writing in conjunction with developing financial
management/self-employment skills;

             •    developing the technical skills of writing and maintaining originality;
             •    selecting subject matter;
             •    using literary skills to develop themes and story lines, while making characters and plots believable;
            •    research, including plot-lines, places, themes and characters;
            •    verifying the
content is realistic;
            •    submitting material for publication in the required and expected format;
           
•    communicating with publishers, editors, cover artists.
            •    encouraging and acting upon critical feedback in the most appropriate manner;
            •    being prepared to rewrite and revise work (often several times) following feedback;
           
•    working tight deadlines.


 I think these points not only describe what an author does from the writing aspect, but from the business aspect as well.   

If I forgot anything, please post it, I'm not perfect, just me.   :-)

I hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday and Happy Reading!! 

C~

Website

Face Book

Twitter


No comments: