Sunday, May 23, 2010

Crazy Store Prices


With veggies becoming much more expensive in the stores, I've decided to take matters into my own hands.



YUP...I planted a garden.



Now farming is in my blood, my grandfather had a huge farm up north (people down here call them ranches.) It was a pig farm, but there was every animal you could think of, including work horses to pull out the fallen trees in the fall to heat the house for the entire einter. Huge fields of corn, hey if it didn't sell it went to make cow corn for the winter.



My grandmothers personal garden was nothing to sneeze at. It was a good half acre and had everything from corn to strawberries. We never went without a good pickle or blackberries in the winter time. Yummy!! And there was an apple orchard about about an acre in size.



So I've done what I can and we have two raised beds, one herbs, one veggies. The romaine lettuce is coming very well and we've been snipping leaves off for sandwiches. The sweet banana peppers and cubana peppers are belling. I'm waiting for the 72 bell pepper seeds planted to start peeking up out of the soil and the only tomato plant to start doing it's thing.



I can't wait to start with the summer squash and zucchini!!



My herbs, I love fresh herbs!! There's nothing like walking out doors in the morning before the heat of the sun, OK it's Florida, so I go out after the sun has gone down to gather my mint or sweet basil or chives for baked potatoes that night with dinner.



Fresh grown goodies...it's a good thing :-)

No comments: