Sunday, June 1, 2014

Vulgar Slang Words in Erotica ... WTF ;-)


I read a short article where a reader was offended by the amount of vulgar slang words now in paranormal and erotic romances now. That every other paragraph was F-this and F-that in a recent book they’d read.
Well ok, maybe that particular author's style of writing wasn't for that reader. It happens, and there's plenty of other authors out there who use cuss words sparingly or not at all.

Now I have to be truthfully honest here, as only I can be, *Grins*. Yes, I use the F-word, especially in my erotic romances.
Why, well it’s just F-ing in the moment and to the point when one of my characters say, “Damn it just F- Me.” With a lot of grabbing, moaning and sighing going on – damn, I love erotica. *Grrrr Arrrrgggg, slurp, slurp* Oh sorry, let me wipe up that drool, LOL. Or because a character in the scene I'm writing is having an issue, and I'd probably say it in real life, so I'm going to stick that little F'ing sucker in there.

I must also quote my best friend who read my book and said, “If it didn’t have the F-word in it, then it wouldn’t be you.” *Shrinks just a bit* But yep, it is me and I try to use it sparingly.  There’s just that open out-spoken, bold side of the Gemini that comes out in my writing, what can I say…I love her!!

And to make a point. When you buy erotica or a high heat level, you have to know there 'may' be words that 'might' offend you in the book. The publisher(s) I’ve worked with and several of ones I haven’t yet, make it a point, to say…this book is ‘controversial’, there may be happenings in here ‘not faint of heart’, ect, ect, ect.

Can you get any more clearer than that? To quote Jeff Foxworthy.
"There's your sign."

The first erotic romance I read, my thoughts were…Damn, yes, now that sounds real to me (and wooo-hoo, sh*t that was hot!!). I think that’s why I love writing them so much. Because I can use just a bit more of the ‘risk-ay’ words in the book, just like everyday people do in real life. We try not to, especially out in public, but we all know it happens.

And there was just a segment on the news here, on 'how cussing may help lighten your stress during the day.' (Oh heck, I do it at work all the time -- just not so others can hear me. Well unless I'm in my home office writing and my computer won't let me do something, HA )

No comments: