Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday's Herb - Chamomile


Chamomile is best known for being in an infusion in a tea to drink.

I've used chamomile in my tea with cat nip and other herbs during a cold or after a stressful day. 
When I make an herbal tea, I usually forgo sugar for something more natural like local honey to add a bit of sweetness.

Not to long after I met my husband, he became sick with the flu. High fever included.
I used the rest of my dried herbs I had in the cupboard and made him a tea. which included chamomile and catnip, along with spearmint for taste, rose hips and a few other herbs. he grumbled at first, because it wasn't 'Lipton' and I made him drink it without sugar, LOL. After drinking two cups, he fell back asleep and when he woke up he said he was feeling better. :-) So I gave him what I had left with some local honey I had bought at a farmers stand. He liked that cup much better LOL.

 Chamomile inactivates bacterial toxins. Small quantities of chamomile oil inhibit staphylococcal and streptococcal strains of bacteria. You can drink chamomile tea combined with other antimicrobials, such as thyme, echinacea, and goldenseal, for internal infections.
The tops of the chamomile plant are gathered in the early stages of flowering.
Chamomile reduces cramping and spastic pain in the bowels and also relieves excessive gas and bloating in the intestines. 
Chamomile is often used to relieve irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, and the stomach flu. I have used Chamomile and ginger root together in a tea to help with nausea.
Chamomile is also an excellent calming agent, well suited for irritable babies and restless children. Moreover, most children tolerate its taste. Chamomile also can help a child fall asleep. 
Chamomile is calming to adults as well, but don't hesitate to sip it throughout the day. Chamomile does not have the affects as prescription drugs or sedatives where they can interfere with your abilities, such as driving a car or completing tasks.
Chamomile is good for those with ulcers or other stomach problems aggravated by anxiety. 
Muscle pain that results from stress and worry is another indication for chamomile. Twitching and tics in muscles may respond to chamomile tea or other chamomile medications.
You can use chamomile topically, too, to treat infections and inflammations. The Ancient Egyptians would put honey on an open wound to stop infection. I suppose you could mix the two together to make a poultice.
WARNING: The U.S National Institutes of Health recommends that pregnant and nursing mothers not consume chamomile, as it may cause uterine contractions which could lead to a miscarriage.

This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.
As always, please consult your physician before using anything.


No comments: