Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesday's Herb -- Spearmint


I love Spearmint, whether it's in my tea, flavoring my gum, Altoid or toothpaste. I think of Spearmint as one of my "calming" scents.
Just one smell and I'm in a better frame of mind. 
Now that's what I call Aroma Therapy!! 

Spearmint is VERY aggressive, and will take over everything.
I always keep it potted and off the ground. If you don't clip or harvest it regularly you will find it sending shooters out (That's what I call them). Long growing legs, looking to attach to something and crawl up and embed themselves in the dirt to travel as much as they can. 
Persistent little sucker! LOL.

I've used Spearmint oil for headaches. I've rubbed small amounts on either side of my temples and then went and laid down. It has helped me.

Spearmint is also good for stomach issues like nausea or digestion.
If I'm sick, I always add the leaves into a tea. Not only does it taste good, but it helps my yucky-ness. I've also put the fresh leaves right into my mouth. I'll suck and then chew on them, and hey, fresh breath is always a great side effect 

I found a decent site where an article was written that you can look at and it explains a little more about Spearmint and its health benefits.

I like growing mine, but if you order it, I always look for organically grown in the USA. That's just me, I'm picky

Have a great day everyone!!
 

This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.
As always, please consult your physician before using anything.

No comments: