Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wednesday's Herb -- Thyme

This picture is of flowering Thyme.

Thyme

I love cooking with Thyme, fresh or dried.
I use it mainly on chicken, turkey and some Italian dishes.

Here are some other uses for this versatile herb, which I will be using once I have my garden going in my new house :-)

Thyme Oil or Thymol is sometimes used for 
Medicinal purposes 
such as:
Antiseptic - such as mouthwashes,
Antibiotic - pre-antibiotic's was used to medicate bandages.

Thymol has been known to be effective against Fungi that commonly infect toenails. To kill or prevent the growth of mold.

A tea made of infusing Thyme into water can be useful for coughs and bronchitis.

It is said:
* Placing a small bundle of Thyme under your pillow will ward off nightmares.
* The giving of Thyme leaves will bring courage to the bearer.
* Fairies are believed to use Thyme for their beds.



There are some great 'how-to' video's on YouTube
Here's one I found that I like.








No comments: